Can I Change My Domain Name On Shopify?
Yes, you can change your domain name on Shopify. The process for doing this is relatively simple, but it is important to make sure you do it correctly, since changing a domain name can cause a disruption in any existing traffic and search engine ranking. Here are the steps you'll need to take in order to change your domain name on Shopify.
1. Purchase your new domain name. Your new domain name must be purchased through a domain registrar or hosting provider. It is important to note that Shopify does not allow you to purchase domain names directly through their platform.
2. Set up forwarding for your old domain name. This is done by configuring the DNS settings for your old domain name to forward to your new domain name. This ensures that anyone who visits your old domain name will be automatically redirected to your new domain name.
3. Login to your Shopify store and set up a new primary domain. Navigate to the domain settings in your Shopify store and select “add new domain”. Enter the new domain name and click save.
4. Create a new SSL certificate for your new domain name. An SSL certificate helps keep your customers’ data secure and is required for any domain used as the primary domain for a shop. Shopify offers free SSL certificates for all businesses.
5. Update internal links. If you have links to your old domain name in places such as your website or blog, be sure to update them to use the new domain name. This will ensure that the link directs people to the correct page.
6. Monitor your store for any technical issues. It’s important to keep an eye on your store after making the change to ensure everything is working properly. If you notice any issues, contact Shopify support for help.
Changing your domain name on Shopify requires some careful steps to ensure everything goes smoothly, but it can be done. By following these steps you can successfully update your domain name to a more relevant and recognizable name for your business.
To change from the MyShopify domain to a custom domain, we talk about this in more detail below:
Related Shopify tutorials:
- Shopify log in: How to login the right way
- How to upload a sitemap to Shopify
- How to add a product to Shopify the right way
- How to change collection URL in Shopify
- How to create a drop-down menu in Shopify
- How to create a collection in Shopify
- How to add a blog to Shopify
- How to add meta tags to Shopify
- How to remove powered by Shopify
- How to add users to Shopify
- How to add a logo to Shopify
- How to edit the order confirmation email in Shopify
- How to turn off the Shopify abandoned cart email
- How to hide products on Shopify
- How to duplicate your Shopify theme
- How to add custom CSS in Shopify
- How to add an order fulfillment center to Shopify
- How to create a custom section in Shopify
- How to add notes in Shopify
- Shopify pricing plans - A Guide to Shopify Fees
- What is Shopify?
The process is relatively simple and can be done in a few steps. First, you should decide on the new domain name you want to use, making sure that it meets the standards and rules set by Shopify. You can then purchase the desired domain name from Shopify, or use one you already own from another provider. From there, it's important to note that you should have all of the necessary email settings updated to match the new domain. Once that's done, you can log into your Shopify admin panel and make the switch. Lastly, it's important to confirm that all of your links, traffic, and marketing are pointing at the new domain. In closing, changing your domain name on Shopify can be beneficial to your store in giving it a fresh start, rebranding, or for other marketing reasons.
To summarize we've briefly covered:
- Can I Change My Domain Name On Shopify?
- A list of the best eCommerce books for beginners
- Best books to learn SEO
- Best social media marketing books
- Best Shopify SEO Apps
- Why social proof is important
- How to get easy backlinks
- What is personalized direct mail?
- Shopify v WordPress
- Share this post, every little helps.
- Subscribe to our newsletter below for tips and tricks to help boost sales.
Additional Shopify Resources
With Shopify being one of the largest eCommerce platforms on the market means you’ll never be short of resources to learn how to build a profitable eCommerce business.
Kanteneo aims to be the best Shopify blog on the market, but you may require additional resources to help you on that journey. Below we’ve listed a top-selling Shopify book by Veronica Jeans to help you learn how to launch a profitable business.