Can I Use My Social Security Number As My Ein On Shopify?
No, you cannot use your social security number as your Employer Identification Number (EIN) on Shopify.
An EIN, sometimes referred to as a Tax ID or Federal Tax Identification Number, is a unique, nine-digit number assigned to an individual or business entity by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS).
It is used to identify the business entity for tax purposes and is used on various tax forms like W-2s, 1099s, 1040s and more.
Having an EIN is essential for any business, including those that operate on Shopify.
An EIN is required for several reasons including applying for business loans, filing a business' taxes, opening a business bank account, and applying for certain permits and licenses.
Businesses should refrain from using their social security number as an EIN due to potential risks and identity theft.
Social security numbers are not intended to be used for business purposes and should only be used by the individual who owns the number.
Furthermore, when using a social security number on any form, you are granting access to personal information for anyone who can view the form.
Fortunately, obtaining an EIN from the IRS is a quick and capable process that can be completed in less than 15 minutes.
To do so, you must have a valid U.S. mailing address where the EIN package will be sent, and a valid U.S. taxpayer identification number, such as a social security number.
Additionally, the individual applying for the EIN must be the responsible party of the business entity, meaning the owner of the business has to provide their social security number.
Once you have obtained an EIN, you can enter it into the Shopify setup stage to ensure you are correctly identified as the business owner and that taxes and payments within the Shopify portal are properly and accurately associated with the business.
Related Shopify tutorials:
- Shopify log in: How to login the right way
- How to change your domain name on Shopify
- How to upload a sitemap to Shopify
- How to add a product to Shopify the right way
- How to change collection URL in Shopify
- How to create a drop-down menu in Shopify
- How to create a collection in Shopify
- How to add a blog to Shopify
- How to add meta tags to Shopify
- How to remove powered by Shopify
- How to add users to Shopify
- How to add a logo to Shopify
- How to edit the order confirmation email in Shopify
- How to turn off the Shopify abandoned cart email
- How to hide products on Shopify
- How to duplicate your Shopify theme
- How to add custom CSS in Shopify
- How to add an order fulfillment center to Shopify
- How to create a custom section in Shopify
- How to add notes in Shopify
- Shopify pricing plans - A Guide to Shopify Fees
- What is Shopify?
- What is MyShopify?
The Social Security Number (SSN) and Employer Identification Number (EIN) are two popular forms of identification.
Unfortunately, they are not interchangeable and the numbers should not be used interchangeably.
If you are setting up a store with Shopify, you may be confused as to what kind of identification number you should use.
Unfortunately, you cannot use an SSN as an EIN when creating a store with Shopify. The system will not accept it.
You should instead use your business's EIN, which is typically provided to you when you establish your business.
An EIN is a unique nine-digit identification number provided by the federal government to businesses for tax filing purposes.
Using this number rather than your SSN will help protect your information and keep it secure.
This also helps distinguish your business from you as an individual since the EIN is associated with the business rather than a single person.
When setting up an online store with Shopify, make sure you provide your EIN number instead of your SSN.
This will ensure that your information is kept secure and that Shopify is compliant with applicable laws.
To summarize we've briefly covered:
- Can I Use My Social Security Number As My Ein On Shopify?
- A list of the best eCommerce books for beginners
- Best books to learn SEO
- Best social media marketing books
- Best Shopify SEO Apps
- Why social proof is important
- How to get easy backlinks
- What is personalized direct mail?
- Shopify v WordPress
- Share this post, every little helps.
- Subscribe to our newsletter below for tips and tricks to help boost sales.
Additional Shopify Resources
With Shopify being one of the largest eCommerce platforms on the market means you’ll never be short of resources to learn how to build a profitable eCommerce business.
Kanteneo aims to be the best Shopify blog on the market, but you may require additional resources to help you on that journey. Below we’ve listed a top-selling Shopify book by Veronica Jeans to help you learn how to launch a profitable business.